OK! There is no trash can to lift off of these burritos, so credit is still given to my favorite Trash Can Nachos I love when we visit Vegas. But, I do save food from ending up in the trash can because they are used up in these burritos.
This recipe is about using up leftovers! Sometimes I joke around and call these our Sustainable Breakfast Burritos because I am just using the leftovers in my fridge. Whatever you want to call them, these breakfast burritos are the best idea for using up leftovers and getting your fridge space back again!
When I made these ones for you we had done pretty well throughout the week and did not have an abundance of leftovers.
I did have defrosted ground turkey I needed to use, 1 potato left over, onions from tacos the night before. If you want the best breakfast burrito leftovers, make these the night after a Mexican meal when you have taco meat, all sorts of veggies and beans left!
Trash can Breakfast Burritos
- 1 lb Meat use leftover taco meat, ground meat, steak, etc
- 1 C potato use leftovers potato, fries – or beans
- 1/2 C Vegetables Have veggies going bad soon or leftovers? Use those – tomatoes, onion, peppers, mushrooms
- 1/2 C Shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 Tortillas
- Salsa optional
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 Eggs
- In one pan cook meat and potatoes (just throw any leftovers in one pan together and heat back up to 165 degrees)
- In a separate pan scramble eggs until cooked through
- Prepare veggies
- Warm tortillas in a microwave wrapped in a towel for 20-30 seconds
- On one tortilla add a spoonful of meat/potato mix, cooked eggs. Top with any veggies, cheese and S&P and roll up
- Optional: place rolled burrito into a pre-heated, oiled skillet and brown each side for a crispier tortilla
- Optional: Top each rolled burrito with salsa
Really, you can do thee burritos any way that works with the food you already have. Don’t have potatoes? Use beans. My son likes just meat and cheese and topped with sour cream. Don’t throw out those leftovers-reuse them! A great weekend breakfast.
Just look at that steam rolling out of that burrito!