Only 17 paragraphs to go until the recipe! Just kidding. I’ll make it quick. First, I do have a shout out to the bread I used to keep the sugars/calories low.
Food For Life’s Ezekiel breads are always in my freezer. Why? Because Food For Life developed yeast-free, gluten-free, vegan and diabetic-friendly selections that promote wellness. They are lower in calories and sugars. I keep my buns, muffins in the freezer. When ready to use I microwave a few seconds then toast and they taste great!
I had some Ezekiel Sprouted Wholegrain Burger Buns in my freezer and instead of taking pictures of some buns and telling you how we love using these over traditional ‘carby’ breads I thought I’d intrigue you by putting some smoked meat inside.
I also use a good digital thermometer. For this meal I am using the ThermPro Wireless Meat Thermometer.
OK…to the recipe!
Smoked Turkey Cheeseburgers
- 4 EACH Frozen Turkey Patties I use Columbia Turkey Burgers from Costco
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp BBQ Seasoning/Poultry Rub
- 4 Slices Cheese I use Mozzarella
- 6 Slices Cooked Bacon
- 1 each Medium Yellow Onion
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 4 buns Ezekiel Sprouted Whole Grain Burger Buns low calorie/sugars
- Preheat Smoker to 325 degrees. I used Mesquite Wood Chips
- Rub both sides of frozen burgers with olive oil then the rub
- Place in smoker and set thermometer to notify at 145 degrees
- At 145 degrees (or so) flip the patties
- At 165 degrees (Total Time 1.5-2 hours) place slices of cheese and melt
- While burgers are nearing end- cook bacon, cook/caramelize onion in the butter, with pinch of salt & pepper
- Prepare toppings, breads
I like to really complicate my turkey cheeseburgers and make my own aioli. I just stirred in fresh garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper into some mayonnaise to taste and spread on my bottom hamburger bun.
Even with all of those fixings, the smoke flavor really stands out. Stove top cooking a frozen turkey burger is a good quick meal. If you think ahead and plan to smoke them you will have burgers at an entirely new level.
More about Food For Life: They use only freshly sprouted certified organic grains. They do not use flour, GMO’s, refined sugars, preservatives, shortening, artificial ingredients. Their breads and cereals are low-baked to preserve the natural fiber and bran benefits of the grains. All products are kosher.