We have 2 Poodle/Wheaten Terrier Mix (Whoodles) and while one can care less about noises or chaos, the other is our timid one. You can open a chip bag and she gets up to escape the room.
She has always been this way and this will be our first year having her for the Fourth of July because we got her in September. I am already dreading keeping her calm when our neighborhood goes nuts with block parties and we are allowed tribal fireworks here so there are BOOMS!
I do know one product I am familiar with and love so I will have their CORE CBD Treats but for the timid dog (Leah) it takes more than just an anti-anxiety remedy. It isn’t my first rodeo calming dog’s nerves and on top of it our oldest with be here with his dog who also gets very anxious with fireworks.
What can you do to Help Your Dog’s Anxiety for the 4th of July?
- Move the party outdoors! A house full of guests is its own anxiety for a timid dog but add noises and fireworks and that is so stressful for them. Early in the day set out tables and chairs in the yard and garage and bring plates, cups and food outside. Plan on finger foods and coolers for drinks. If you set up in the yard then guests will stay in the yard and then the odd one in for a potty break should be ok for the dogs. This keeps their safe space inside calm before the boom!
- Call your vet right now! You need to not wait until last minute. Call your vet and get the OK for anti-anxiety medication or ask about CBD treats like the bacon or peanut butter flavors CORE CBD treats my dogs love then practice the dose on them. When the 4th hits you’ll be set to give their treats in the right amount of time in a dose that works for them. CORE CBD already gives you a safe dosing suggestion based on dog’s wait on the tub.
- Designate a dog sitter! Don’t disappear on the dogs all night when you start the firework party. Make sure someone has the task of dog check every 10 minutes or so. Between my husband and boys we always take dog check shifts to pet them, assure them and make sure inside is safe and calm for them.
- Don’t lock them in a room! If you knew there was something strange happening in your home and you could not get out of your room to check it out and all of your family was on the other side of that door, how crazy would that make you? I only did this years ago as someone recommended it and the door frame was chewed to pieces. Imagine what my dog was going through to literally attempt to eat his way out of the room? I never followed that common advice again. Keep them in a familiar space to find their own hiding spot if they choose.
- My dog’s get curious when anxious so I make sure the window blinds are open for them so they can actually see us from inside. They haven’t told me with words, of course, but I really feel they appreciate that ability to peek at us.
- Give them a good potty break before the loudness starts. Once it starts they may hold that bladder for dear life all night to avoid going outside
- Thunder Vests can be great for some dogs. One of ours refuses to wear any accessories or clothing of any kind so the vest alone would stress her out. ONLY if your dog appreciates clothing can a thunder vest help.
Using CBD for anxiety in Dogs
To start, CBD is 100% free from psychoactive ingredients (these treats won’t get your dog “high”).
Like humans, dogs and cats have an endocannabinoid system. This means that they can benefit from CBD oil. From what I have learned, when the body naturally releases endocannabinoid chemicals from this system (or you ingest them through a tincture) they connect with the receptors and that stimulates the body’s natural ability to create serotonin, a natural mood stabilizer.
CBD drops for dogs or CBD dog treats can ease several conditions your dog may suffer from either occasionally or chronically, including:
- Anxiety and stress
- Moderate to severe pain
- Chronic inflammation
- Joint pain
- Digestion problems
Visit CORE CBD to see more pet and human products!
CORE CBD Giveaway
CORE CBD has offered a giveaway to one of my readers! Enter below to win 1 Tub CORE CBD Bacon Dog Treats 150mg, 1 Tub CORE CBD Peanut Butter Dog Treats 150mg, 1 Bacon CBD Oil for Dogs 250mg, 1 No-Rinse CBD No-Rinse Conditioner for Dogs 350mg (external). The bundle is available as a prize to US readers. Ends July 7, 2019.