If you are a Gardener or if you spend much time maintaining your yard at the start if spring, you know that it can be exhausting and your body feels it the next day! That is because while you are working away, you are giving your body a total workout. So why not gather the kids? Let them dig and learn while sneaking in some exercise.
- Let the younger kids toil and stir up that soil with little shovels. Heck! Hand them spoons and watch them go to town on that dirt!
- Let them choose the seedlings. Just as it is in the kitchen, if they make it themselves then they are more likely to eat it!
- Let them place the seeds. Let then place in a pattern of their own or place of their own.
- Let them water. Get them their own water cans and assign watering days to each child. Take that time to watch the growth progress with them.
- Let them tend the area. On their watering night, add the task of checking for bugs or weeds and alert you.
- Finally, let them taste their crop! Plan a salad night and show them about washing and storing each fruit or veggie.
A garden from the kids…and you got them off the couch!