Your blog post is written! You have a list of reviews that need written for your Blog and you just got to hit ‘Publish’ again. Done! Cross another post off my list! Ummm….that post won’t share itself. You are HALF done! This is why Bloggers need that compensation we feel we deserve from a brand or sponsor. The average post takes several hours to write. This time frame is my own calculation and here is a light-hearted tier I used to come up with that figure. Hopefully when you are done reading this, you will smile or even chuckle a few times then want to share the heck out of this post because you know I am right!
- Step 1: The brand pitches us or we pitch you-we negotiate terms or product. Discuss how our post will be formatted and agree on compensation. Open our agenda and make a note, archive email for easy access once we are ready to write the post.
- Step 2: The package arrives. We open the packing box then break down the empty box and head to our recycle bin and stomp on it to fit another piece of material in the already overflowing container that only gets picked up every 2 weeks. We head inside to inspect the product.
- Step 3: The thought process! Inspect it, go to the website and read about it and find a way to use it for a post! Come up with a master plan-how to get a photo. What room and lighting will I need for photos? How can I find a relative way to discuss this product for my Blog’s style?
- Step 4: Grab the camera. Crap, Out of batteries so we head to the battery drawer to replace batteries…again. But I need my son to help be in the photo for the toy I was sent… “No, Mommy! I don’t want my picture taken!” …”But, honey, you got this nice toy and you are having fun with it…please!!!”….”No!”…about 15 minutes later (aha! he is not paying attention, I can sneak up and take it…SNAP-Got it!) Picture done! Uploading started!
- Step 5: Pull up Blog-Hit ‘New Post’ and stare blankly at it for a few seconds! Aha-got it! ‘Put a picture up top? No! Start with a paragraph then a photo? Let’s try that! Photo too big so I edit it. Nope, too small-re-edit! Wait! The sponsor wants their image I was sent AND my own. So….drag that photo down-use theirs at top? No! Theirs is out of proportion to this post…let’s drag their image down and move mine up? Perfect! Now I can start writing!
- Step 6: Write…re-read…edit…re-read. Photos=check! Product description=check! Disclosure=check! Parameters ok=check! Links work=check!
- Step 7 Pull up original email from sponsor and re-read! Did I get all we agreed would be in this post? Check! We are half way done-Phew!
- Steps 8-15 Find the hashtags and (@) labels we will use and Share…plug this post into our communities, newlsetter, linkys. Tweet…set it up to tweet some more in the next 1-2 weeks and keep sharing it that same way on Facebook, Google, Stumble Upon, Pinterest, Instagram, etc. Head to our Blog Groups-plug it in for comments and shares and to reciprocate-we comment and share dozens of other Blogger’s posts. A Blogger will only scratch my back if I scratch theirs. Wow! Your post just hit shares on more than just my social media!
- Step 16 or so… Email the brand and share our link with them. Assure them we are STILL working for them-sharing away!
- There are steps 16-100 if we are creating, organizing, plugging, concluding and communicating about a Giveaway you want us to do for your brand.
So, that is why a Blogger is worth it for your brand! This is not me complaining, just explaining! Next time you want to send a $1.50 candy bar to a Blogger to do a review for you, you may want to consider what that post is really worth to you. Quality Blogger’s ask for a lot more than that candy bar! Why? Because we take pride and oodles of ours and our families time…for you…putting your brand in front of thousands! That $50 or $100 price tag seems priceless suddenly, doesn’t it? I really do appreciate the sponsors I work with and highly appreciate the way so many brands and sponsors do understand what we do for them. A relationship will always be strong when both sides appreciate the efforts of each other! That’s just life!
I had a lot of fun writing this, but would LOVE to hear your thoughts as well!